Who’s the American Express Cobalt Card For?
The American Express Cobalt card is the right match for you if:
- You want the highest earning rates on select spending categories
- You regularly purchase food and drinks from grocery stores or restaurants
- You travel often or use ride shares frequently
- You collect Aeroplan and/or British Airways Avios points
Who’s Eligible for the American Express Cobalt Card?
To be approved for the American Express Cobalt Card, you must:
- Be a Canadian Resident
- Be the age of majority in your province
- Have a fair to good credit score (660 – 724)
There are no minimum personal or domestic income requirements.
When Does the Welcome Bonus Expire?
When the welcome offer ends is at the discretion of American Express. It’s subject to change at any time without notice.
What Rewards Can I Earn With the American Express Cobalt Card?
The American Express Cobalt Card earns you:
- 5x points per $1 spent on food and drinks, including grocery and restaurant purchases
- 3x points per $1 spent on streaming subscriptions
- 2x points per $1 spent on gas, travel, and transit
- 1x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
How Much Will It Cost Me Annually for the American Express Cobalt Card?
Given the monthly fee of $12.99, you will pay $155.88 per year.
Can I Transfer the Points I Earn With My American Express Cobalt Card to Another Card?
Absolutely. Points earned with the American Express Cobalt Card can be transferred to Hilton Honors at a 1:1 ratio. They can also be transferred to Marriott Bonvoy at a 5:6 ratio.
Is the American Express Cobalt Card Accepted Everywhere?
The American Express Cobalt card is not as widely accepted as Mastercard or Visa credit cards. However, you can get a lot of use from it anywhere except at Loblaws and Costco stores.