Editorial Note: Comparewise is supported by our readers. When you find products and services through links on our site, we may earn commission.
The Desjardins Bonus Visa is a credit card issued by Desjardins Group that charges zero annual fees. You can earn rewards such as 2% in BONUSDOLLARS on most purchases and 0.5% for others.
Additionally, this credit card offers several types of insurance coverage for your purchases and mobile device insurance. However, there is more to this card.
Pros and Cons of the Desjardins Bonus Visa Card
Pros of the Desjardins Bonus Visa Card
- Free travel insurance for trips lasting up to 3 days includes coverage for emergency healthcare, trip cancellations, baggage coverage, and 24/7 travel assistance.
- Enjoy up to 15% off and other benefits when renting a car from Hertz, Thrifty, and Dollar.
- Up to $1,000 insurance coverage for mobile devices and purchases if misplaced, stolen, accidentally destroyed, or mechanical failure occurs.
- Earn rewards up to 2% on purchases based on the purchase category.
- Enjoy freedom from yearly fees.
Cons of the Desjardins Bonus Visa Card
- Relatively high-Interest accrual on taking out a cash advance.
- Foreign transaction fee.
- Credit score requirements
Is the Desjardins Bonus Visa right for you? Our verdict
The Desjardins Bonus Visa Card is perfect for people who frequently shop, as it comes with zero annual fees. This allows you to spend as much as you’d like without incurring heavy fees. It also offers cashback rewards on everyday purchases, allowing you to earn while you spend.
Desjardins Bonus Visa rewards
- Purchase insurance valid for 90 days.
- The extended warranty is valid for one year.
- Insurance coverage for mobile devices.
Perks of using the Desjardins Bonus Visa
The perks of using this card include the following:
- Support borrowing via financing options but an interest rate.
- Support cash advances which facilitate cardholders to withdraw cash from an ATM or bank and pay it back with interest.
- An interest-free duration of 21 days to pay your balance except on cash advances.
- An overdraft transfer option to cover transactions exceeding your account balance.
- Credit Balance Insurance to assist you in paying off your credit card if you become critically ill or disabled.
- Mobile payment options for seamless payments using your Android or Apple device.
- Only hold cardholders accountable for authorized transactions on their accounts.
- Implements reliable security protocols
- Free Equifax credit report change alerts to all members and clients for five years.
- The flexibility of paying $200 or more in smaller, equal installments.
- BONUSDOLLARS rewards on your purchases.
- Convenient management of your account online or through the Desjardins mobile app.
Desjardins Bonus Visa Card fees
- Access cash advances of up to $5,000 daily at an interest rate of 19.9%.
- Charges on transfer from another credit card to your Desjardins Bonus Visa
- Up to 2.5% foreign transaction fee.
- Cash withdrawal from ATMs at higher rates than purchases.
Desjardins Bonus Visa Card interest rates
- APR falls between 12.90% to 19.90%
How to use the Desjardins Bonus Visa Card
Here’s a guide on how to, who can and where to use the card:
To apply for the Desjardins Bonus Visa card, you must be a resident of Canada. Also, you should have attained 18 years with a good credit score before applying.
To apply for the card, simply do so online or at a Desjardins branch.
Once you receive your Desjardins Bonus Visa card, you must activate it before using it. To do that, simply call the 8-digit number on your card to follow the activation prompt.
Who can use the Card?
It is a versatile credit card; hence it can be owned and used by anyone that satisfies the eligibility requirements.
How and Where to Use the Card
You can use your Desjardins Bonus Visa card to make purchases where Visa cards are acceptable in Canada and globally. Additionally, you can make ATM withdrawals with the card. However, cash advances incur interest rates more than purchases.
Alternatives to Desjardins Bonus Visa
For informed decision-making, here are some alternatives to Desjardins Bonus Visa for comparison:
Desjardins Bonus Visa vs Tangerine World Mastercard
- Zero annual fee
- Up to 2% of rewards
- Contactless payment options
- No foreign transaction fee with Tangerine World Mastercard
- Desjardins offers broader insurance coverage
Desjardins Bonus Visa vs Walmart Rewards Mastercard
- Rewards on purchases.
- No annual fee.
- Fraud and purchase protection.
- Walmart Reward is on my redeemable at Walmart.
- Desjardins offer overall higher earn rates.
- No travel insurance benefits at Walmart.
- Non-members can become holders of the Walmart Rewards Mastercard.
Desjardins Bonus Visa vs Desjardins Flexi Visa
- Issued by Desjardins Group
- No annual fee
- Global usage wherever Visa is accepted.
- Three weeks grace of no interest for purchases.
- Optional insurance coverage
- Desjardins Flexi Visa has no rewards program.
- Desjardins Bonus Visa has a higher interest rate.
- Cash back program
You might also like…